Ross A. Hill: Sticks and Stones

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.rossahill.com and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sticks and Stones

Do you remember the saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me"?  I do.

What a lie!  How many times did we say that phrase growing up?  How many times have you heard it? It is a huge lie!  Words do hurt!  They hurt far more and leave far deeper wounds than sticks or stones.  Words can hurt us to the center of our core.  Words can tear us up and leave our lives shattered.  Our sharp tongue can speak words that pierce the heart far deeper than any stick or stone.

Proverbs tells us to be slow to speak.  James tells us that the tongue can destroy like a fire.  Genesis tell us that God spoke creation into existence.  Proverbs also tells us that a kind word is good medicine for the soul.

Just think, with your tongue, you have the power to destroy and you have the power to encourage.  The choice is yours. You can build up or you can destroy.

What will you do TODAY?

1 comment:

  1. So, true brother. Just came from a situation that words did hurt. Bitterness tries to set in and God is so good to me because he gives me dreams about who I am having problems with and makes me deal with it. I am trying to work up to listening to his voice better so that he can talk to me while I am awake...lol

    My definition of God's voice..."It sounds like your voice in your head but it is smarter"

    ReplyDelete